When your roof leaks, it can be very stressful and costly to fix. No matter your roof type, if you don't properly care for your roof it will lead to long-term problems. Roof maintenance services are thus very important and will save you money in the long run. For caring for your roof, you can either do it yourself or have a professional do it for you. Having Madera, CA roof maintenance experts take care of the problem is the best option. If you are not properly trained at maintaining or repairing your roof, you may miss problems or worsen damage, which could cost you even more in the end.
Though it is not advisable to maintain your own roof, you may decide to do it anyway. If you decide to maintain your roof, here are some tips you should follow to do it properly.
Basic Tips for Roof Maintenance
1. Check to see if the roof has been properly installed. Unprofessional for faulty workmanship during installation is often the reason for needing to repair your roof. Sometimes while installing the roof, an inexperienced roofer will leave punctures on the roof or perhaps will accidentally loosen a shingle or shake while installing it. To avoid the common problem of poor installation, hire a reputable company with experts to do it.
2. Make sure nearby trees are not a potential source of roof problems. Trees that grow near your house may have branches that can scratch your roof. While trees are attractive and make a house look nicer, they are a common source of problems for roofs. They can cause the growth of algae, moss, mold, and other vegetative growth by trapping moisture and leaving it on your roof, perhaps from leaves the wind carries onto your roof. Over time, mold and other vegetative growth will corrode shingles or shakes, potentially leading to leaks.
3. Be observant during and after a storm. Storms are a common source of roofing problems. Storms bring moisture that over time degrades the condition of the roof. Additionally, if a storm has high winds it can weaken or loosen the shingles or shakes from your roof. A hail storm can leave dents on your roof or loosen shingles or shakes. One way to prevent storms from damaging your roof is to ensure that the roof is properly installed from the beginning.
A stated, many roof problems can be avoided by properly maintaining your roof, particularly with the help of professional Madera, CA roof maintenance services. The following are important tips for maintenance regardless of the type of roof that you have.
General Roof Maintenance Tips
1. Make sure you hire experienced professionals to install your roof, and make sure they only use the highest quality materials. In this case, prevention is the best cure. The durability of your roof will depend on the type of materials used. Generally, slate and metal roofs last the longest.
2. Make sure you trim any trees near the house to make sure that they do not leave cause leaves to drop on your roof or bring moisture to it. Trees can bring moisture that in turn can cause vegetative growth on your roof. Tree branches may also damage your roof during a storm by scraping it.
3. Make sure you clean your roof gutters regularly by using a hose and water or a leaf blower. Gutters attract debris over time and can be attractive to rodents. They also can cause roof leaks when not periodically maintained.
4. Try to keep your roof as dry as possible. One way to do this is to make sure your attic is properly ventilated at all times.
5. Hire roof maintenance experts to inspect the roof every year. A great time for this is spring since roof problems are more likely to take place in the winter. If problems are detected early, it prevents them from worsening later on, potentially costing a lot more to fix.
Maintaining a Wood Shake Roof
Wood shake, or cedar, roofs must be maintained in a specific way. Besides what was mentioned previously, you can use strips of zinc or copper on the roof. Zinc or copper strips prevent the growth of moss, mold, fungus, and other vegetative growth from occurring on your roof, as the metal is poisonous to them. As soon as you see any moss, mold, or other vegetative growth on your roof, it should be scraped off as soon as possible, and you should also wipe the affected shingles or shakes with a solution of three quarts water, one quart bleach, and one ounce detergent. Because of the special care wood shake roofs need, hiring roof maintenance experts is highly recommended with this roof type.
Maintaining a Flat Roof
Maintaining a flat roof has its own specific requirements. Flat roofs tend to build up water following a rainstorm. It is highly advisable to use an underlayment with flat roofs due to their tendency to collect water. Underlayment is an extra layer added on top of the plywood and under the shingles for extra protection. Regular maintenance, including cleaning and clearing out debris, can prevent damage to the roof and prolong its life. For flat roofs, resealing regularly is essential to prevent leaks.
How much will it cost for Madera roof maintenance?
Maintaining your roof is less costly than fixing a leak. The cost to maintain the roof will depend on the type and size of the roof, and the contractor you use. Typically, it will cost between $50 and $250, not including the cost of the materials. If you wish to have quality and affordable roof repair, reach out to us and we will give you a competitive quote.
Where do I find the best Madera roof repair near me?
Professional roof maintenance experts are located right here! We can take care of your roof, and solve any roof problems you may have, with the utmost professionalism with a simple phone call. We are also available during emergencies to bring your mind at ease.